Planning Consent – The What’s, Why’s, How’s & Don’t Forgets!

  • Date Posted: 16th February 2018

What is planning consent?

It is the approval given by your local authority for you to –

  • Construct a new building
  • Extend an existing building
  • Change the use of a building
  • Planning consent is granted based on both National and Local Planning policies.

Why do I need Planning Consent?

It can save you a lot of money in the long run…

If you do any works that require planning consent without first receiving it, you may have to do 1 of 2 things:

  1. Apply for retrospective planning permission – but just because you have already built something, it is not a guarantee that you will get the retrospective planning permission granted.
  2. Or WORSE You will be served an enforcement notice by the local authority to undo all the changes that you have made £££££££ down the drain!!

How do I get Planning Consent?

All applications for planning consent are made through the local authority, this can be done in several ways.

  • You can do it yourself
  • Through an Architect
  • Through a planning consultant.

You need to bear in mind that along with the application form itself, here is a list of a few of the things you may need to supply detailed information of, depending what you want to build –

  • What is already built?
  • What you want to build?
  • How will your proposals fit within local area.
  • Listings of all the proposed build materials.
  • A supporting statement called a Design and Access Statement – This document explains the design thinking behind the application – it needs to include a description and justification for the planning application.
  • A flood risk assessment.
  • An ecology report.
  • An arboricultural report – Trees!
  • A highways report.
  • A retail impact assessment
  • The list goes on…

This is quite an extensive list already, but there are a lot more things that can be required depending on your build. That is why it is always recommended that you seek the advice of a professional… They do planning applications every day….It’s their job!

Don’t Forget.

All building works require – Building Regulation Approval – Even if you are only making internal alterations to your property. It is advisable to submit a “Do I need Planning Permission?” form to your local authority if you are planning to build within Permitted Development Rights…..It could save you money in the long run. Permitted development rights only apply to houses, they do not apply to flats, maisonettes and other buildings.

There are restricted permitted development rights if you live –

  • In a conservation area
  • A national park
  • An area of outstanding natural beauty
  • A world heritage site
  • A listed building
  • Commercial Buildings

You can always apply for pre-application advice from the local authority before you commit to a planning application. The local authority will give you advice and guidance as to whether your planning application is viable.

If in doubt, talk to your local authority, Architect or planning consultant.